Medical science has discovered that many stomach problems, including ulcers, are associated with a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) .
A properly functioning digestive system is a prerequisite to good health. Even the healthiest foods and the best nutritional supplements can do us little good if they are not properly digested and assimilated by the body.Digestive disturbances are very common today, as reflected in the millions of dollars consumers spend on antacids. Unfortunately, these only provide short-term relief and they usually do more harm than good for those who use them habitually.
The good news is there is a better way to handle digestive disturbances. Prudent nutritional supplementation can serve as a great aid to this system, especially the supplementation of enzymes that are removed from our foods during processing and cooking.
Word Review List:
Below is a list of some of the words that were discussed to this lesson. If you are unclear as to the meaning of any, click on the word to review its definition:
If you have five or more of the following indications, you may consider nutritional aid to the digestive system:
- Chew your food well
- Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices and excess caffeine and alcohol
- Eat some uncooked fruits, vegetables and sprouts rich in enzymes
- Avoid overeating
- Avoid polyunsaturated fats (vegetable oils)
- Eat no later than 2-3 hours before bedtime
- Avoid laying down immediately after meals
- Consider our Recommended Dietary Guidelines, the correct diet for optimum healing and well-being based on the best clinical science we have available today.
Digestive System Products
1. Master Herbalist Steven Horne has created an excellent “Biological Terrain Chart for the Digestive System” which we have found helpful in selecting the appropriate products for digestive complaints. Your assignment for this lesson is to read his article and download his helpful chart.
Download full-sized PDF chart below (Note: To use the chart effectively you must also read the accompanying article):
Assignment 2: Read Natural Health School’s Dietary Guidelines and begin to apply suggestions 1, 2 and 3 to your daily dietary regimen, with the intention of applying the others in the future after you have these first three completely mastered. Approach this with an open mind. We realize that lifestyle changes, particularly with regard to the way we eat, are not easy and are frequently met with resistance. Go easy!